Dear Robb,
                        At the MSM levels you are taking, surges in
detoxification are quite likely.  We experienced very similar reactions among
our volunteer populations during our rather extensive evaluations of MSM
ingestion........several years ago.
                        Do remember, Dr. Stanley Jacob and associates documented
the "flushing" character of MSM.......many years ago.  If you are unfamiliar
with this characteristic......try to imagine the walls of a cell as being
covered by a series of microscopic "venetian blinds" (e.g. the cell pores)..
The "effective" physcial opening of these pores is what controls the amount of
fluid (water-like substances) that are allowed to pass in or out of the cell.
It is quite possible for elements other than just the "original" physical size
of these openings......to affect the "effective" size presenting.  e.g.
material obstruction/build-up/deposition  of foreign materials, edema-like
occurances, biological reactions, etc., are also possibilities.   Without
belaboring the possible causes, the important consideration becomes not how to
get water INTO the cell, but how to get the toxin-like materials OUT.  The
openings in the cell wall may be quite large enough for the water to go in and
out but NOT sufficiently so to allow the toxin-bearing substances to exit.
While MSM is not a capable entrainment/transport medium, it is a splendid
"self-oriented" liquid penetrant (similar to a super-lubricant/penetant in
physics) and as such easily passes INTO and through even highly-occluded cell
pores.  MSM does possess the ability to dilute parent substances.....sometimes
in ways which afford solid-like masses to become more gelatinous in
nature-----or even to break-up into smaller constituent particles/geometries.
This process greatly enhances the probability that in-dwelling toxin-like
substances may be enabled to PASS-OUT of their former prison within the cell
proper.  Thus, a circumstance equivalent to actually opening the microscopic
"venetian blinds" substantially.......may manifest.  Additionally, as the
process continues, evidence has presented that the "actual" physical cell-wall
pore openings experience a true enlargement-----sometimes through an effective
removal of existing material obstruction......and sometimes through a
restoration of their effective flexibility.  When such an effect presents, it
usually does so in an exponential and sudden manner.
                    Do understand this diatribe is an analogous-type
explanation....and not a scientific treatise of exactitude;  but, hopefully,
will serve to offer a possible "symbolic" explanation of the cause of your
Herxheimer-like presentation.
                                            Sincerely,  Brooks Bradley.