Hi Mike

You wrote:

 > If you  think you are safe, you might be in for a  bad  surprise. It
  >doesn't matter  which  way you plug your circuit in.  With  a bridge
  >rectifier, both rods have the same shock hazard.

  >Here is  an  animation of a bridge rectifier that  I  posted earlier
  >that shows the voltage across the rods and to ground.

  >(The green  arrows  show conventional current  flow,  which  is from
  >positive to  negative. This is the opposite direction from  the flow
  >of electrons.)

>http://engineering.dartmouth.edu/other/3Dcircuits/animations/bridgeR.html

  >Study this graphic carefully. If you don't understand it, please let
  >me know and I'll try to help.

  >In any event, I'd abandon the circuit you are now using.

  >Mike Monett

That is a neat graphic Mike. I agree with your point about polarity, I should
have explained what I meant with shock protection.
Shock hazard has little to do with voltage and everything to do with current.

If you consider the circuit I described with the bridge rectifiers and current
limiting resisters, with a 15k ohm bleeder resister the
open circuit voltage will be 55 volts.You can take both silver rods in your
hands (even wet hands) and not get any shock when
handling because of the current limiting resisters. The maximum current flow
through your body is likely less than 1ma.

Now take a worsed case scenario; I have seen many diodes short circuit when
exposed to lightning or line voltage surges.
Imagine then the diode in one AC line shorting to the B+ side of the bridge.
Another diode on the other side is shorting to the
minus side of the bridge, the other two diodes are open. You now have  115
volts AC on the DC side of the bridge.
This is where the polarity reversal becomes an issue. If a person was to hold
one rod in one hand and touch a water pipe or
any other type of ground, he would be exposed to approx. 40 volts AC with one
polarity and about 80 volts AC the reverse
polarity. However, if you consider the body resistance to be 100k ohms, your
maximum current that can flow is limited to 1ma.
This is very safe.

I have in fact grabbed the rods and played around with conceivable scenario's,
in the shorted diode case you will get a slight
shock if you take the 80 volt rod in one hand and the other hand on a natural
ground, but even here the current will still be so
low that it cannot harm you. With the bridge rectifiers in tact, I did not get
any shocks until I increased the bleeder resistor to
27K ohms. Even then just a little tickle.

So I repeat, This circuit is very safe although not as safe as when you use an
isolation transformer. .

I should mention that I make all of my CS with 25 kv  HVAC, and have been doing
this for three years. Talk about a shock hazard.
My reason for playing around with this circuit is because I enjoy experimenting
with LVDC. I have been intrigued by Ole Bob's
experiments and try to copy some of his experiments.
I am also looking for a very inexpensive circuit that can I can afford to give
away to people in poverty situations.