I'm resurrecting this old thread 'cause nobody seemed to have a good
idea what happened to the fish...

I'd bet that the CS promptly killed just about every bacterium in the
water within a minute or two... All those dead bacteria dumped their
guts into the water all at once, toxins included. Not a happy
environment for a fish. The fish were being hit with a heavy toxic load
all at once.

If you've got a gravel bed in the bottom of the tank, it'd be even
worse than in a fishbowl. Part of the "biological filter" in a healthy
tank is the colonies of friendly bacteria that break down wastes like
ammonia to less toxic compounds.

If you want to try treating a fish with CS, transfer it to a jar of
properly conditioned new water with added CS for a while. Don't add the
CS to the community tank.

If you want to isolate a fish, I'd suggest a decent sized quarantine
tank with simple fixtures (no gravel or plants) and good aeration. The
big problem will be keeping the wastes from building up in the absence
of filtration. Only frequent and consistent vacuuming and water changes
will do.

Be well,

Mike D.