Reid-  I just looked in my 1973 book "Ceramic Design" by John B. Kenny and
he states, pg 198,

"Luster is a form of decoration in which a thin film of metal is deposited
on the surface of a glazed piece.  Lusters were developed by the early
Persian potters who applied metallic salts to the ware, then fired it in a
strong reducing fire.  The reduction deposited the luster film on the ware.
Another simpler method does not require reduction in the kiln.  A reducing
agent (resin) is combined with metallic salts, usually chlorides or
nitrates of gold, silver, copper, and bismuth.  An oil, oil of lavender, is
used as a medium and the mixture is sprayed or painted on the ware, which
is then fired to red heat (about cone 012 = 875 °C).  The carbon formed by
the reducing agent and the oil reduces the metal and creates the luster
film without the need for reducing the kiln.  Prepared lusters with the
reducing agents added can be purchased from dealers in ceramic supplies."

I did lusters on a few pieces 20 years ago when I first started out with
ceramics.  I think I did gold and platinum.  I can only assume this is what
you are after, hope it helps.

Nancy