<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<Christiane wrote:
This is in response to what to replace coumadin with to thin the blood.  My
understanding is that is it very risky to stop coumadin, and when you wean
off of it, it is critical to have your numbers monitored closely.

Keeping that in mind I have some input about a possible solution.  I have
been on Fish Oil in mega doses prescribed by an integrated medicine
physician in NYC.  I was told to take 12,000 MG per day (with 400IU's Vit. E
to supplement).  One of the side effects that he warned about was that it
would thin my blood and possibly put me at risk for "bleeding out" during a
surgery or severe injury.  Due to that risk, I was told to stop it 3 weeks
before any surgery, and a "bleed time" was performed within 24 hours of my
procedures to insure safety.

So.......I don't have any specifics about replacing coumadin, however I'm
acutely aware of the blood thinning properties of mega doses of fish

I followed Adelle Davis' health advice and gave my youngest daughter cod
liver oil from birth.  It did make her very healthy: few infections.  A few
years down the line, she started having problems with nose bleeds, mainly
in the winter.  After several years of this I finally found out excess Vit.
A can cause nose bleeds, and then I took her off fish oil and found if I
gave her any she would have nose bleeds again.  Question:  were the nose
bleeds the result of an allergy to fish oils from starting her on them from
birth, or does it have something to do with the blood thinning action?

Nancy