url: http://escribe.com/health/thesilverlist/m61510.html
CS> Question to Ode - Electrode Efficiency?
From: Mike Monett
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 20:15:29

Hi Ken,

OK, I think I figured it out. When the electrode is new and shiny, ions
are liberated more at discontinuities, perhaps grain boundaries.

These areas grow preferentially since they are rough and have more
surface area. Eventually they will grow big enough to eliminate the high,
shiny areas and cover the entire electrode.

So this means a brand-new electrode actually has higher current density
than a well-used one.

On the other hand, perhaps the roughness tends to focus the activity to
the sharp peaks. If the oxide formation takes place very close to the
surface, say within a micrometer or so, the peaks actually may look flat,
but have a higher ion density than surrounding areas. This may promote
the formation of oxide that eventually grows into visible particles.

If the oxide is formed much further out, the variations in ion density
should smooth out, and it may not make any difference if the electrode is
new or well-used.

So I guess the next question is which electrode is best to obtain high
ppm? A brand-new one, a well-used one, or it doesn't matter?

Best Regards,

Mike Monett