  From: Langsley T Russell
  To: Silver List
  Sent: Saturday, August 09, 2003 12:14 PM
  Subject: Re: CS>negative effect on benefical gut bacteria?

  Hi Wayne.

  You said,
    Why not use yourself for a guinea pig?   I do it all the time and many
others do also.
  I guess I could say I already do. I too take both probiotics and CS on a
daily basis. I make no efforts to separate the ingestion of one from the
ingestion of the other beyond natural daily routine. I experience no adverse
digestive effects as a result. However I don't believe that will prove anything
other than the fact that I don't have digestive problems.

  I too do not consume anything approaching 32 ounces of CS in a day. It is
more like 4 ounces daily, occasionally as much as eight ounces. When I first
started taking CS I noticed some mild stomach pain following the ingestion of
the CS. I backed off some, then over time, I increased my consumption. I don't
consider that to be proof of anything other than the fact that I did experience
some passing pain. This may or may not have been directly related to my
ingestion of CS. Granted it appears that way on the surface but in my view,
that hardly constitutes credible evidence that CS had any effect on my
intestinal flora.

  I do give a lot of credibility to anecdotal evidence. I believe its value
though depends largely on numbers. I believe that anecdotal evidence becomes
what I consider to be empirical evidence only after a sufficient quantity of
supporting anecdotal evidence has been amassed.

  Thanks for your feedback. I intend to put my experiments up on our website.
In doing so I will be sure to include the anecdotal evidence of my own
experience as well as that provided by other CS users like you.

        LTR  }}:{(