From: Reid Harvey [mailto:pott...@wlink.com.np]
Sent: Friday, August 22, 2003 6:01 PM
To: silver list
Subject: RE: CS>3200 ppm CS in 1 & 2 liter sizes - and CS filters

Alex,
Thanks for your continuing information on Microdyn and CS in Mexico.  If
only other poor countries would adopt the use of CS!  Allow me to make a
small correction on what you've said about Katadyn filters and more
specifically silver saturated ceramic filters in general.

Some of these filters do contain silver materials in the inner void of
the candle, but the pathogen removal happens inside the ceramic medium.
This is because small clusters of atoms or molecules of silver metal
and/ or silver oxide are dipersed thoughout the medium.  On contact with
the silver the pathogens are killed (some say rendered harmless).

I doubt the silver material thats in the inner void of the candle has
much effect, since its active surface area is relatively little.  By
contrast the active surface area of the silver within the medium is
immense, and pathogens are forced into intimate contact with this.
Imagine that a 1.0 gram ingot of silver may have a surface area of
something like 0.2 cms. sq., just a guess on my part.  But break that
ingot up into clusters of atoms, saturate the filter with it and you may
end up with something like 100 sq. meters of active surface area.  It is
this silver, situated in the ceramics that the pathogens encounter as
they wend their tortuous way through the filter.
Regards,
Reid

Alex Torres wrote:
........The Katadyn filter destroys COMPLETELLY ALL fungus, bacteria,
spores or virus. I tested and analyzed at the University the purity of
this water. Zero bacteria, no coli bacteria.  Do you know what's inside
the filter? Silver granules! No more, no less, encased in a ceramic that
traps the BIG particles............

List maintainer: Mike Devour <mdev...@eskimo.com>

---
Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.