--- Robert Berger <bober...@swbell.net> wrote:
> Hi Ode,
>
> Tell me how to insulate a coin for an arc that is
> 1/2" to 2" below the water
> surface and still be able to adjust the arc.
>
> "Ole Bob"
>
> Ode Coyote wrote:
>
> >   Why not use gold bullion coins?
> >
> > Ode
I am now working on some possibilities of making
underwater (high voltage) DC INDUCTION Underwater
arcing. A DC induction arc,might be probably similar
to welder DC arc  that may show some similarities. But
it would seem the best example for a dc induction arc
is to use a huge air core inductance in DC. When we
break the DC circuit, an arc will always form at the
breaking points. For a 1000 ohm 60 henry coil @ 400
volts, it is easy to procur a 1/2 inch long arc, and I
think these arcs are harder to estiguish then their AC
counterparts. A lot is unknown in this category. A man
named Joseph Newman built a copper magnetic motor,
where he claimed that these DC induction arcs occuring
at the DC commutator, were  in fact acting as back  rf
emf spikes on the battery supply, so that the battery
was getting charged back up while powering the motor.
I myself built an entirely different version of a
copper magnetic motor using 4 of these 80 lb 60 henry
coils, and was able to rotate a 50 lb magnetic rotor
some 300 rpm with the air core coil system. It was
here where the impossibility of extinguishing the DC
induction arc became apparent as a real problem. The
amount of voltage that appears between the separating
electrodes of the commutator are also dependent on the
speed of separation, and a longer arc is always
procurred at a faster separation rate. The normal
practice is to provide an alternative pathway for the
induction arc, such as a florescent bulb, which is
what Newman did, by putting bulbs in parallel to the
arc. These then function as voltage dependent parallel
pathways that only open as a parallel circuit across
the arc, when the extra voltage created by the
induction arc begins to act. The key here is the word
"extra" voltage. When the magnetic field of the
inductor having a DC magnetic field is interupted, the
magnetic field lines collapse back through the
windings, which is what generates this extra voltage.
I am unfamiliar with aspects of DC welding, and
ferromagnetic counterparts of the DC induction arc.
But what sems evident is that it is the SPEED of the
magnetic collapse that creates this extra voltage. But
this is not at all a one time event, or a delicate
balancing act between magnetic collapse and arc
formation. The process is very self sustaining, and
the air core DC induction arc is very hard to
extinguish, and will easily go on in duration until
the electrodes may start some heating problems. Thus
we can create a DC induction arc that can function for
long durations of time. The differences between a
ferromagnetic DC induction arc effect,and the air core
may be due to the following; the air core induction
coil has a magnetic field that distributes itself
widely into space around the coil, so when collapse of
the field lines occurs, they must generally travel a
larger distance of space when that collapse occurs:
BUT, the ferromagnetic inductance has its magnetic
field confined to the volume of the ferromagnetic
core, so the speed of its  magnetic field collapse may
be lesser in that lesser volume of space. Now that I
have gone somewhat off topic: lets get to the rest of
the story...

I found out that a copper magnetic motor could be made
in miniature using NIB magnets and radio shack coils.
There was a problem of construction. Here a similar
topic is evident, how can you make a holding assembly
for coins in a V position. My simple first try
solution: Go to wallmart and buy a Tinkertoy set! Its
expensive, but sometimes you have to throw money at a
problem. Perhaps the old erector sets with metal parts
could also come in handy for constructing an electrode
assembly.

My particular solution for the DC water arcing
scenario is to first build a tinkertoy holding
assembly to position the coins in a V gap formation. I
will try something different since immersing the coins
into a water may be problematic for making underwater
arcing, where in past effects surface arcs instead
take place. Instead I will position the V  coin gap
over a funnel. I have a 5 gallon Wall mart Cooler that
can establish a gravity flow  through plastic tubing
of continous water past the V coin assembly. This is
going to take a while to construct. This limits runs
to the time of draining. My first trial run will use
silver electrodes. This probably will be an unfit
substance, a throw away batch for the garden. I am
worried about high silver oxide formations at these
higher voltages. Maybe then I can graduate to using
one gold coin electrode. Any consensus of which
polarity to use for the gold? I would suppose the one
that would be considered more Negative?

For those wishing to experiment with air core DC
induction arcs, let me recommend a least expensive
alternative. Years ago in the factory, we used spools
of paper coated steel wire, the same kind of wire
found on bread bags for sealing; to use for twist
tying boxes of plastic prduct contained in plastic
bags. A spool of this steel wire has a fairly high
resistance and can make a decent induction arc.
Perhaps these can be found on EBAY,so let me know if
anyone finds these, as I may wish to purchase these
myself. An important aspect of creating the DC
induction arc is chosing a "resonant" value for the
filter capacity used to smooth out the DC ripple, that
all built power supplies use. The DC induction arc
becomes somewhat laser-like in its actions when a
resonant capacity is used. I have worked out a scope
experiment to determine if this resonant value is
correct, where I think it should be 1/4 of the value
that the inductor uses for 60 hz resonance. This is
because 60 hz becomes 120 pulses per second when
converted to DC.

Sincerely HDN

=====
Tesla Research Group; Pioneering the Applications of Interphasal Resonances
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/teslafy/

http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com