url: http://escribe.com/health/thesilverlist/m62805.html
From: Douglas Haack
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 20:59:42

  > Mike Monett,

  > Thanks for  taking the time to explain it all. I  will  be keeping
  > your explanation and will certainly look up the references.

  > In Silvation, DH

  Thanks Douglas. I hope it made some sense. It might take a  while to
  absorb - there is a lot of information.

  I like  making  simple   experiments   that  anyone  can  perform to
  illustrate some basic part of the process of making cs.

  Here's another simple experiment that shows the tremendous influence
  of the Nernst diffusion layer.

  Take some high ionic cs - say 20 ppm, and pour one inch in a glass.

  Let it sit for a week or so until most of the water  has evaporated.
  Mine took  longer  than that - it depends on  the  relative humidity
  where you are living.

  Anyway, I  waited  until there was only 1/8 of an inch  left  in the
  bottom.

  This means  the  ppm increased by a factor of 8.  The  cs  was still
  clear and showed no tint whatsoever, even though the ppm  was around
  80.

  I then added a bit of salt to do the famous salt test.

  The reaction  was  so  dramatic I  have  dfficulty  telling  you how
  surprised I  was.  Normally,  a high ppm  will  show  a  very strong
  dispersion in the salt test, and it will obscure objects  behind the
  glass.

  This dispersion  was  the  strongest   I   have  seen  to  date, and
  completely blocked anything behind the glass.

  But when  I looked at it under the microscope,  the  silver chloride
  particles were large enough to be plainly visible.

  The conclusion  is  cs  can   exist  at  high  concentration without
  combining to form silver oxide.

  This means  the concentration of ions in the Nernst  diffusion layer
  must be  very high indeed. Much higher than a factor of 8.  And this
  is what  limits  the maximum concentration of  silver  ions  you can
  achieve with electrolysis.

  This led   to   another   experiment,   which   unfortunately failed
  miserably.

  Recall my earlier posts on making ions visible.

  It seems  to take about 40 minutes for the silver ions to  reach the
  cathode, and  presumably  the same amount of time  for  the hydroxyl
  ions to reach the anode.

  The process  of  ions combining to form  silver  oxide  cannot start
  until the ions reach the opposite electrodes.

  I read somewhere the conductivity of ice is higher than plain water,
  so my plan was to immobilize the ions by freezing the dw.

  I got  everything  set  up  on top of  the  fridge,  and  put  my cs
  generator in the freezer.

  Later, when  I went to look at it, the ice had frozen  and  it broke
  the glass  in  my cs generator. This is a minor  catastrophe,  as it
  took a lot of searching to find a glass with straight sides that was
  the proper diameter to fit my lid.

  But I  figured the experiment would run fine, even  thought  the ice
  was no longer contained. Who cares, I said. It's a block of ice!

  I turned on the power and started taking notes on the process.

  Well, it didn't work. The conductivity was zero. Even with 155 volts
  across the electrodes, no current flowed through the cell.

  This makes sense. The stray ions in the dw need to be mobile so they
  can reach their respective electrodes and start the process.

  So whoever  felt  that ice was a better conductor  than  plain water
  perhaps never actually measured it to find out.

  So we learned something. Plain common sense works a lot  better than
  believing everything you read on the web:)

Best Regards,

Mike Monett