Horsetail and other mineral rich herbs are excellent sources and can be
consumed as tea. Onions are also very rich in silica. Best if not cooked
or only lightly. It is in the thin membrane between layers. Food based
mineral sources are always better absorbed than supplements as most of
these are metallic form and not in the matrix of the plant material
which facilitates absorption. It is also present in fairly high amounts
in oats so Oatstraw Tea would also be a good source.

BTW Silica enhances absorption and utilization of Calcium and Magnesium.
Studies in race horses show a reduction in injuries when Silica was
supplemented. They used Zeolite, a metallic form in the studies. The
research was done at U of WI. There was a short report in the Dec 02
Equus magazine.

You can also take Homeopathic Silicea to enhance your absorption and
utilization of Silica. It makes my hair and fingernails grow faster and
stronger and I use my fingernail condition as an indicator.

Garnet