url: http://escribe.com/health/thesilverlist/m63059.html
From: Billy
Date: Sun, 5 Oct 2003 15:16:25

  Hi Billy,

  > Hello group, thanks for such an informative and helpful list.

  > I am  currently  making a CS generator in the  hope  that  it will
  > address problems with Psoriasis, so any help on that subject would
  > be appreciated.

  I'm not  sure if it would do much, but you can  search  the archives
  for more information. Just enter a word of three letters or  more in
  the search box at

    http://escribe.com/health/thesilverlist/index.html

  There is  a wealth of information avaliable on  just  about anything
  you can imagine.

  > I have  several questions that the group gurus should  be  able to
  > help me with.

  > 1) Reversing the polarity at, say 60 second intervals. Is  this an
  > advisable thing  to do? It is easy enough for me  to  implement if
  > thought to be advantageous.

  You sound technically competent - that's good!

  Polarity reversal  has been studied extensively. The  problem  is it
  increases the  chance silver ions, Ag+, will  combine  with hydroxyl
  ions, OH-,  that  are concentrated near  the  electrodes.  This will
  reduce the ionic ppm, which many oldtimers have stated actually does
  the work. From my own experience with the Shingles virus, I agree.

  Steve Young posted a comparison on June 29, 2000, that showed  a 48%
  drop using switching periods of 17 seconds and one minute:

    http://escribe.com/health/thesilverlist/m23530.html

  > 2) I have an output of ~28-30 volts, current limited. What  is the
  > ideal maximum current to limit the output to?

  It depends  on  the  current   density.   Above   1  mA  or  so, the
  concentration of ions in the Nernst diffusion layer is strong enough
  to produce lots of black silver oxide and hydroxide. This  coats the
  electrodes and  the side of the glass, and limits the  maximum ionic
  ppm to about 10 or so.

  Ken's Silverpuppy runs at 615 uA/sq.in and gives good results.

  I use  100 uA/sq.in. or less, and sometimes get a trace of  oxide on
  the electrodes.  With  good  quality  dw, I  can  get  above  20 ppm
  calculated easily.

  Also, you need to minimize any sharp corners, such as at the cut end
  of the  rod. Ken uses a U-shape that gives  two  parallel electrodes
  connected at  the  bottom. I took his idea and formed  a  W-shape to
  give more wetted area and reduce the current density.

  The current is still concentrated a bit more at the bent ends, which
  gives a  local hot spot for the formation of oxides. I then  went to
  spiral electrodes which have gradual bends for the risers.

  This improved  the  performance,  so I can  get  well  above  20 ppm
  calculated before  the cs starts showing a tint. There  is  a slight
  buildup of gray silver on the cathode, but it is minor.

  The process is very sensitive to slight changes in ion concentration
  at the  end. Just one or two ppm difference is all it takes  to make
  the difference between clear cs and cs that starts showing  a slight
  yellow tint.

  If you  run  at  high  current to reduce  the  brew  time,  the cell
  resistance will produce a voltage that is higher than the  37V limit
  of the typical regulators, such as LM117 and LM134.

  I posted  an ascii design earlier for a current regulator  that goes
  to 160V, but it's not for people who are not technically skilled and
  don't know how to keep from electrocuting themself.

  It is very similar to a design Steve Young posted a long time ago

    http://escribe.com/health/thesilverlist/m29691.html

  But his schematic was lost when the post was archived.

  > 3) I have read where replacing one electrode with  stainless steel
  > rod in  place  of the silver gives good  results.  Comments yes/no
  > please.

  Several people  have  commented  that  silver  ions  have  a special
  affinity for stainless steel. I use silver for both electrodes  so I
  can switch them on alternate batches and equalize the wear.

  > 4) What is the optimum distance apart for the rods?

  Not too critical. Most people run about 1 to 1.5 inches. It helps to
  keep the  distance  constant to minimize hot spots,  so  you  need a
  sturdy mounting arrangement. I bolt mine to a plastic lid.

  > Hey, this time last week I'd not even heard of CS! So please treat
  > me gently )

  Welcome to the list - you're going to find a lot of new friends!

  > Regards,

  > Billy.

Best Regards,

Mike Monett