Marshall Dudley wrote:

I was going to say that maybe the French call it lye, but additional research
indicates that you are correct, and that also potassium carbonate is also called
lye.

http://www.encyclopedia.com/searchpool.asp?target=lye&Search.x=30&Search.y=14

1.
   lye lye,name commonly used for a strongly alkaline solution. It originally
meant a
   solution of potassium carbonate(potash) prepared by leaching wood ashes with

   water, but now the name also means a solution of sodium hydroxide or
potassium
   hydroxide.

Marshall

Jason Eaton wrote:

Hi Marshall!

You are right and wrong both!

http://www.spch.fr/en/cl.htm

Potassium Hydroxide is also sold as a lye for industrial applications!

Best Regards,

Jason