Dan, Marshall,
As to our determination of getting enough CS for filter saturation, with
our CS, there was never a lot of testing.  We were simply following the
generator designer's instructions and corroborating on the basis of
bacteria that did and did not get through the purifiers that did and did
not contain CS.  When making the CS  I would simply go by the
instructions for time and color with some verification in the strength
of TE at various levels of dilution.  Then again most of the ceramic
filter saturation was done with Microdyn, and this I used in direct
comparison with amounts of our own CS.  Only now am I seeing that our
own could become very viable, since the automated switching takes away
the operator intensiveness.

I believe that for those few of us who are doing silver ceramic filters
on a humanitarian basis there is still a lot to learn as far as just
what amount of CS to use, ppm and volume, and how this works with other
variables.  And some are just now beginning to use silver metal.  BTW,
Marshall, those ceramists 'in the loop' tend to agree that the oxide is
a good disinfectant, but only about 10% as effective as the metal.  The
amounts of silver necessary may be substantially less than is used, but
once we come within the range of affordability to the poor, maybe
US$0.10 (10 cents) per filter, we don't experiment in achieving lesser
cost.

Recently I'm finding that other varaibles have a serious impact on the
effectiveness of the silver at pathogen removal.  For example, in
experimental systems that are given additional water column height, so
as to greatly increase flow (which also helps indicateover a short
period just what the life expectancy should be), we're finding that
pathogen removal isn't as good as it is at the lower column height.
Small percentages of e coli, for example, do get through.  These can
become dynamic at the greater water pressure, squeezing through smaller
openings.  And insufficient silver allows less contact with the
bacteria.  We're currently working to verify that increasing the amount
of silver for those purifiers at greater column height will restore the
high degree of effectiveness we've come to expect.  But column height,
amount of silver, and filter wall thickness are only a few of the many
variables.

We have lots of variables in the ceramic production alone, and a big
part of my job is to alter filter composition so as to give appropriate
flow, but imagine we must fine tune the kiln temperature.  Recently my
local, ceramist counterpart overfired about 100 purifiers, and this
simple act gave them double the anticipated flow rate.  You better
believe that I'm praying that doubling, or trebling the silver content
will get these back to the virtual 100% effectiveness!
Bye for now.
Reid

Dan Nave said:
How did you make the determination of what was "enough" in terms of ppm
for the CS
to use in the water filters?

Dan