Ode Coyote wrote:

> [...]
> >  > did you make your collidal copper?
> >
> >  Each electrode is 3 feet of 12 ga house wiring folded into a  W. The
> >  wetted area is about 5.5 sq.in. I tried different  current densities
> >  and am now running at 144 uA/sq.in.
> >
> >  > I've copper  electrodes  for hours on end and never  got  a  TE or
> >  > conductivity rise  to  go  over 3 uS [But I did  get  a  blue grey
> >  > precipitate] Same with zinc ... without the precipitate.
> >
> >  Yes, I monitor the cell voltage and calculate the ppm. As soon as it
> >  hits 3 ppm calculated, the cathode starts turning dark and  the cell
> >  voltage flattens out.
> >  So 3 ppm calculated seem to be a hard limit for copper electrolysis.
> ####OK, So you have found as have I that 3 PPM is about the upper limit for
> CC..or really ionic copper..as I have been unable to make anything that has
> even a hint of a TE.
>
>  A while back I made a generator with a 1/8th " x 3 3/8" stainless steel
> cathode in the center and 3 anodes surrounding it at the same length, one
> of 12 gauge silver wire, one of 10 gauge zinc wire and one of 10 gauge
> copper wire. If I recall, I was running it at .7ma and no stirring.
>  I think I'll go find it again.  :-)
> >

> ..........At  some point, the Ag+ and OH- ions  start  combining to
> >  form silver  hydroxide  and  silver oxide.  I  posted  the equations
> >  earlier.
> >
> >  But when  you put H2O2 on plain silver, the reaction  is  very slow.
> >  For example,  you  get a gray sludge on the cathode  at  low current
> >  density. As  you  explained,  this  is  pure  silver  covering small
> >  hydrogen bubbles.
> >
> >  When you shake it off into the water, the bits fall to the bottom.
> ### and the bits eventually dissipate releasing a cloud of particles just
> like the so called 'ion cloud' as the hydrogen bubbles dissolve into the water
> >
> >  If you add H2O2 to the cs, bubbles start appearing and the tiny bits
> >  start rising  to the surface. When the bubble breaks, the  bits fall
> >  back down. This will go on for days.
> >
> >  So the reaction of H2O2 on pure silver is completely  different than
> >  on silver oxides. The H2O2 breaks down to water instead of acting as
> >  a catalyst. I posted the equations earlier.
> >
> >  Now, when  you  get a yellow tint to the cs and add  a  tiny  bit of
> >  H2O2, the   tint   disappears   and   the   solution   remains clear
> >  indefinitely.
>
> >  So this  confirms what we learned by evaporating cs and  adding H2O2
> >  to the black stuff. The reason for the yellow tint is silver oxides,
> >  and not elemental silver particles.
>
> ##  I have found that whatever makes the yellow tint will eventually stick
> to the glass of the container leaving the water colorless.
>  This probably has something to do with the larger mass of the large
> particles impacting the container sides and sticking there while the small
> particles just keep swimming around.
>
>  If the water is then poured off and peroxide is placed on the deposit, it

I believe that the H2O2 oxidizes the silver producing silver oxide, which is
slightly soluble, and thus dissolves in the peroxide.  Also it is possible that
silver oxide is much more soluble in peroxide than in water, but can find no
information on that.

>  The reaction is very much like when an oxide blackened electrode is placed
> in peroxide, which leads me to conjecture that the yellow color of the
> particles has something to do with the inclusion of oxides in that crystal
> structure.

I have doubts that the deposit is silver oxide, since silver oxide is somewhat
water soluble.  It is likely silver peroxide, which is totally insoluble in
water.  I believe the likely explaination is that silver peroxide is soluble in
H2O2.

>  There just may be a whole range of crystal structures containing both
> oxides and hydroxides that key in with various particle sizes...not that
> any particular structure actually has a color as in "pigment" but that the
> composition of the crystal may have something to do with the size limit and
> range of the particle and it's reflective/refractive properties.
>
>  When I use peroxide in CS, the TE increases...often taking on a faint
> bluish hue in full spectrum [sun] light.
>   I think that maybe the peroxide is breaking the crystal structure apart
> producing both smaller particles AND releasing ions.

That is another possibility.

>  I've used as little as 4 drops of peroxide in a quart of violet colored CS
> to clear it, but it took many days.
>
>  I mentioned making silver flakes while using peroxide as a starter [don't
> recall how much..I don't pay much attention to what I consider total
> failures].
>  I let that batch sit around for over a year and look at it now and
> then...just because it was pretty.
>  For the first few months it remained unchanged. I could shake it up and
> see that pretty snowfall effect like a paper weight thingie. Water was
> colorless with no visible TE [if I remember]
>
>  Then a fuzzy fluffy white precipitate formed out of the shiney flakes on
> the bottom as the water turned yellowish.
>
>  After several more months the water went clear with no color..but it's
> hard to tell WHAT color it "isn't" as it reflects 'whatever' color [except
> in the green and blue range, ie, picks up yellows and browns best] from any
> object that's near it, the fuzz dissipated, several small round black balls
> formed on the bottom, it grew a very strong fine TE  under laser light and
> conductivity remains unchanged at 13 uS. [as measured with my "calibrated"
> ??? PWT but was originally measured with an uncalibrated one with the more
> or less consistant factory settings]

Now that is plain wierd!

Marshall