From: Jrowland
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2003 21:37:00

  > OK---to what does the Pure Water Test reading get compared?
  > jr

  Depends on  what you want to do. Now I have a question for  you. You
  are an  oldtimer on the list, and may have come across  a discussion
  about it.

  Electrons cannot  propagate  in   an  electrolyte.  Current  flow is
  through the movement of ions only.

BTW, Mike, this is not strictly true, but it may be so for aqueous electrolytes - dunno. Hey, if water swaps protons around in the form of hydronium ions, does that mean it's a semiconductor and 'holes' propagate??

  In the  cs process, some trace contaminants must already  be  in the
  water in the form of ions in order to start the process.

  The ions in the vicinity of each electrode move to  their respective
  electrodes and gain or lose electrons as appropriate.

  The ones  further  away may know an electric field  is  present, but
  their drift velocity due to the electric field is perhaps  orders of
  magnitude less  than their thermal velocity, and much less  than the
  diffusion velocity.

Diffusion velocity?? If I'm going 100 mph back and forth randomly, and at the same time I'm propagating steadily toward San Francisco at 10 mph, I'm gonna get there; the traffic opposing me cannot be any thicker than the traffic going my way.

  So the ions basically cannot respond to the applied electric field.

This resurfaces a question in my mind, will the electric field provoke increased ionisation in pure water?

  Yet for  electrolysis  to  begin, there must  be  a  continuous path
  through the water from one electrode to the other.

  Why?

  I don't know the answer. If you can figure it out, please tell me.

Best Regards,

Mike Monett

List maintainer: Mike Devour <mdev...@eskimo.com>

---