From: Ode Coyote [mailto:coyote...@earthlink.net]
Sent: Sunday, November 30, 2003 8:08 AM
To: silver-list@eskimo.com
Subject: Re: CS>Why the yellow CS - an hypothesis

Yes
With a hot spot in the center bottom, heat rises fast in the center as it is
shed along the outside perifery which makes the cooler liquid sink, further
reinforcing the central updraft.

Going the other way with liquid cooling [vs heating], you get pretty much
the same central updraft as the cool liquid on the outside edges sinks,
forcing warmer liquid up through the center and back around to the outside
top.

Preheating and allowing to cool works pretty well for stirring, but tends to
peter out as the container gets cool too fast.

Both directions ..hot to cool or cool to hot..give the same thermal torrid
in the same direction.
So, if it seems that heat is gaining too much, Let it cool and you still get
a thermal stir effect.
It's not heat itself that does the job, it's the thermal differential, or
difference in heat.
Which also means that a cool room adds to the effect.

Ode