Hi Jim,
No expert here.  I'm just learning about all this like most of us.
Here's a couple more data points to plot :)  I've had 17uS CS in my
Vicks Ultrasonic humidifier sitting on a counter for about a month now -
out of any direct sunlight for what that's worth.  It's been used maybe
10 minutes total in the last month.  It was brand new when I put my 1/2
gallon in it.  I looked at the CS today and it was perfectly clear like
when I put it in.  I emptied the humidifier which had about 1/2 gallon
in it.  There were a few small grey particle floaties but not too many.
Around some places in the plastic were small black dots that did not
easily wipe off (looks like a little oxidized silver to me).  The
ultrasonic plate was clean.  The PWT reading today was still 17uS.

The most interesting discovery was that I tasted the CS that I had
emptied out(still clear and the same PWT reading as when it went in the
container), and it tasted like the new plastic of the humidifier
smelled.  I'll probably run a batch or two of pure distilled water to
get the newness of the plastic to dissipate.

Hypothesis:  could your CS be reacting with manufacturing deposits or
the materials in your humidifier?  If so, possibly just running it a few
batches with distilled water on your porch or somewhere suitable could
solve the problem - kind of a wash of the internals.  If the CS is
reacting in a way that the distilled water isn't, then the problem would
not be solved as long as the CS was in contact and reacting with that
material.  It would probably vary with brands as to exactly what
material went into the construction.

Is it safe?  You have to decide, but I wouldn't drink or breath the
colored muddy stuff you describe.  Something is going on with your
perfectly good CS to transform it into "who knows what".

Maybe the experts will shed more light....

Vince