    * From:* alopez...@aol.com <mailto:alopez...@aol.com>

    * To:* silver-list@eskimo.com <mailto:silver-list@eskimo.com>

    * Sent:* Tuesday, December 09, 2003 3:11 PM

    * Subject:* Re: CS>Fire Ants

    I must be terribly allergic to fire ants which are prolific here
    in Texas.  I also feel terribly ill after the inopportune calamity
    of meeting up with these awful creatures..I don't heal well and it
    takes months for my skin to heal after a fire ant bite.  Here,
    these ants are known to kill livestock with their incredibly
    potent poisons that they inject.  Would CS help?  Now I am
committed not to do anymore gardening which I love dearly.
    I have used the grant fireant granules and they do work but I keep
    seeing more and more mounds in front yard.  Is there any
    preventatives?

    Also could fire ants transmit bacterial infections with their bites?

    thanks,

Donna
In the early 90's.there was a fireant granule that worked by sterilizing the queen.The product disappeared from the market with the sale of the company of origen was bought out.I used to work in garden shops in central Florida-east coast.I actually had local exterminators used to buy it by the case from me,I do not remember the name of it, but it used a 'hormone' to steralize the queen. University of Florida has been working on other biological means including a fungal disease that effects fireants.Ammonia is the best thing to apply to bites as soon as possible after the bite occurs as this neutralizes the formic acid in the bite.Neutralizing the bite site is imperative to stopping the necrotising effect(pustule) that occurs with the bite.I used to keep a little bottle of ammonia and a wad of cotton in my pocket while working as fireants would colonize plant pots and swarm over you if you picked them up.I would use ammonia on myself and/or customers that missed the tell-tale sign of these pests. I noticed that nomally fire ants wern't very active until after 5:00pm unless disturbed.Using bait poisons(Amdro) should be put out in late afternoon and should be applied as a 'circle' AROUND the mounds and NEVER on the mounds.

Fireants do not carry infectious bite, however,after necrotizing the bite area with what is essentially an acid burn it can get infected. I have places on my legs that got bites over 20 years ago that have never completely healed..They have become psorisis like and I spray them with CS and use castor oil and MSM on them.Subsiquent bites treated with ammonia kept the necrotising from occurring at all.Clear or sudsy works great as does spirit of ammonia from drug store also works.Baking soda(bicab.of soda) also works but ammonia works best and is easier to wipe over affected area.
Holland Simms
former Florida Nursery Professional-FNGA