From: bob smith [mailto:rresm...@comcast.net]
Sent: Monday, February 16, 2004 2:33 PM
To: silver-list@eskimo.com
Subject: CS>Emailing: ANS00971

I just came across this article.  I had never heard of these restrictions on
CS.  My understanding was that they did not find it harmful.  But there
could be no claims made as to its benefits.   Bob Smith

FDA
TALK PAPER
Food and Drug Administration
U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
Public Health Service 5600 Fishers Lane Rockville, MD 20857

FDA Talk Papers are prepared by the Press Office to guide FDA personnel in
responding with consistency and accuracy to questions from the public on
subjects of current interest. Talk Papers are subject to change as more
information becomes available.

T99-39                     Print Media:         301-827-6242
August 17, 1999
                           Consumer Inquiries:  888-INFO-FDA

FDA ISSUES FINAL RULE ON
OTC DRUG PRODUCTS CONTAINING COLLOIDAL SILVER
The FDA has issued a Final Rule declaring that all over- the-counter (OTC)
drug products containing colloidal silver or silver salts are not recognized
as safe and effective and are misbranded.
Colloidal silver is a suspension of silver particles in a colloidal
(gelatinous) base. In recent years, colloidal silver preparations of unknown
formulation have been appearing in stores. These products are labeled to
treat adults and children for diseases including HIV, AIDS, cancer,
tuberculosis, malaria, lupus, syphilis, scarlet fever, shingles, herpes,
pneumonia, typhoid, tetanus and many others.
According to the Final Rule, a colloidal silver product for any drug use
will first have to be approved by FDA under the new drug application
procedures. The Final rule classifies colloidal silver products as
misbranded because adequate directions cannot be written so that the general
public can use these drugs safely for their intended purposes. They are also
misbranded when their labeling falsely suggests that there is substantial
scientific evidence to establish that the drugs are safe and effective for
their intended uses.
The indiscriminate use of colloidal silver solutions has resulted in cases
of argyria, a permanent blue-gray discoloration of the skin and deep
tissues.
Colloidal silver ingredients and silver salts include silver proteins, mild
silver protein, strong silver protein, silver chloride, and silver iodide.
The dosage form of these colloidal silver products is usually oral, but
product labeling also contains directions for topical and, occasionally,
intravenous use.
In reaching its decision, FDA considered all of the information described in
the proposed rule (October 15, 1996) and submitted by the public in response
to that proposal, the Final Rule becomes effective on September 16, 1999, 30
days after publication.
####