Generic Name Kayexalate
      Indications Hyperkalemia.
      Dose 0.5-1 gm/kg/dose, made into a slurry with sorbitol, given as
retention enema at body temperature q 6 hours. Can also be given PO if
infant is tolerating feedings. Suspensions of this drug should be freshly
made and not stored beyond 24 hours.
      Other measures that should also be considered: remove K from IV, IV
sodium bicarb, IV glucose & insulin, IV calcium gluconate, hyperventilation,
exchange transfusion with freshly washed PRBC & FFP, hemodialysis,
peritoneal dialysis.

      Route PO, PR
      Action Kayexalate is a finely ground, powdered form of sodium
polystyrene sulfonate, a cation-exchange resin prepared in the sodium phase,
with an in-vivo exchange capacity of approximately 1 meq of potassium per
gram of resin.
      Toxicity Since effective lowering of serum potassium may take hours to
days, treatment with this drug alone may be insufficient to rapidly correct
severe hyperkalemia associated with states of rapid tissue breakdown or
hyperkalemia so marked as to constitute a medical emergency. Therefore,
other definitive measures such as dialysis should always be considered.
      Serious potassium deficiency can occur from Kayexalate therapy. Close
monitoring of serum electrolytes is imperative. Electrocardiographically,
hypokalemia is often associated with lengthened Q-T interval, widening &
flattening and/or inversion of T-waves, and prominent U-waves. Also, cardiac
arrhythmias may occur, such as premature atrial, nodal, and ventricular
contractions, and supraventricular and ventricular tachycardias. The toxic
effects of digoxin are likely to be exaggerated.

      Like all cation exchange resins, Kayexalate is not totally selective
for potassium in its actions, and small amounts of other cations such as
magnesium and calcium may be lost during treatment.

      Kayexalate contains approximately 100 mg (4.1 meq) of sodium per gram
of resin. In patients who cannot tolerate even a small increase in sodium
load (i.e. severe congestive heart failure, hypertension, or marked edema)
compensatory restriction of sodium intake from other sources may be
indicated.

      References NICU Drug Handbook, p. 165, 1991.
      Gomella, Neonatology, p. 480, 1992.