I missed the part where he used salt. Hadn't heard about the black part.

 I've made really really really strong CS in pure distilled with current
controls that looked like skimmed milk when viewed in a sunbeam ...for a
few days, [ie:  no color and very thick looking]  then turned black as
night.  It was probably hundreds of PPM. [useless meter readings in the
high 70s low 80s uS]

Ode