'way back in the early forties ,I worked in the sheet metal trade doing work
for the military.This entailed making steel waterproof containers.For
galvanized steel,the joints were treated with Muriatic acid [hydrochloric]
to cut the zinc for soldering.For stainless steel soldering the muriatic
acid was "cut" with pure zinc to make zinc chloride.For copper cleaning we
used Sal-ammoniac,this let us tin the surface.In later years I swung over to
the electrical trade and mostly used a pre-mix soldering flux paste.Then
acid core solder was used a lot,but not for electrical,radio or TV
connections,which was resin core.
Hope this helps
Harold