Friends,
Thanks to all for the encouragement on the silver treated pottery toilet, http://www.purifier.com.np/silsanpot.html Several people have asked me recently what the big problem really is, with the surfaces around the hole of pit latrines. I think the biggest single worry may be in the situation of small kids, maybe two, just out of diappers. A brother or sister, five or six, can help the younger sibling to go to the toilet, but the extent of their capacity to help may be just this. At five or six they're still not so good at keeping the younger one away from this dirty surface. At least with the sanitary pottery, with intermittant rinsing clean, with water, by an older child the risk of infection should be lessened.

Sorry again, for not so glamorous a topic.
Reid