Hi List,

Something has been bothering me for some time and recently I got into a friendly
discussion regarding ions and colloids.  I said the silver ions were dissolved
in the
water.  He said that was not true....an ion was an atom missing an electron in
the
outer ring or one with an additional electron in the ring.  He went on to state
that
the atom was still an atom and was not dissloved but just in intimate contact
with
and intimitely surrounded by the water.  He stated that the atom does not
dissolve by
being in the water.

I tried to look it up but am not a chemist or physiscist so this is way over my
head.
I did see a couple of sites that showed an artist rendition of an atom
surrounded by
water but not dissolved even though by definition it was called "dissolved".

I saw many CS sites that say the ions are dissolved but I suspect many of them
are
just spouting what they saw on another CS site so I would like a definitive
simple
explanation if anyone can give it.

Thanks.

Trem