If one wants to preclude others from patenting something, one puts the invention in the public domain. That way, the person who wants to get the patent can not meet one of the essential criteria.

There are, I have read, web sites devoted exclusively to public disclosure of inventions. It makes a lot of sense for some small mfgrs.

JBB

On Friday, Jun 4, 2004, at 06:00 Asia/Tokyo, James Holmes wrote:

Jonathan,

Please explain. How does disclosure prevent patenting with trivial changer,
by a competitor.

JOH

-----Original Message-----
From: Jonathan B. Britten [mailto:jbrit...@cc.nakamura-u.ac.jp]
Sent: Wednesday, June 02, 2004 11:55 PM
To: silver-list@eskimo.com
Subject: Re: CS>PATENTS - OT

One final point:  many small companies now routinely, and very
publicly,  DISCLOSE their new products,
. . .

JBB

On Thursday, Jun 3, 2004, at 13:09 Asia/Tokyo, Wayne Fugitt wrote:

Evening John,  and others who made comments on patents,

I agree with virtually everything stated.

However, in some cases, when a small time infringement is involved,
a "Cease and Desist" letter has always stopped production, in my
experience.

The average individual or small business simply don't want legal
action for a small amount of profit.

Big dollar situations, I agree are different.

I still wonder about those words,  "forbids all others from making,
selling or using".

Wayne