Many years ago when the phone companies forced you to rent your phone
and would not allow ownership the courts stepped in and said that it was
not legal for this to happen. That once the phone wire was installed in
YOUR house it was YOUR choice what you hooked up to it. Hence we all
started owning our phones, answering machines and other devices came
along, like cassette recorders, computers etc.

I don't believe anyone is in danger of being prosecuted.

Garnet