>>>Ode, you wrote, "I'm sticking with silver and distilled as a rule", -- Do you think that I would be better off by NOT placing the copper wire in the bottom of the jug while making CS? Also, would I be better off by not leaving copper wire in the finished product for any period of time?
<<<<

## The copper apparently pulls the silver both ionic and colloidal..chunks and all..big pieces first, then everything else eventually.. out of the water without being part of a reaction itself. I have no idea how, but it all winds up on the bottom in several various forms. [and some on the top as a silvery slick too]
The copper gathering black oxides as any color clears up is the first part of the process. It doesn't seem to stop there.
That's not to say that copper can't be used to serve a purpose but that the purpose has a time frame...though, oddly, my little quart batch didn't stop doing its thing after the copper was removed while other batches did if the copper was removed sooner.

>>>Also, what do you think the black deposit on the copper wire may be?
<<<<
## The granular looking black stuff pretty much has to be silver oxides. The observation that it gets thicker as color leaves the water might indicate that oxides do play some sort of role in having color.
That's not to say that color is not due to particle size rather than 'pigmentation', but that oxides [or just oxygen itself...maybe dissolved carbon dioxide?] may have something to do with pure metallic silver particle agglomeration as something for a crystal to grow on like snow flakes and raindrops grow on dust particles.

There may also be some relationship to the fizzing phenomenon when you pour root beer into a glass, let it stop fizzing, then add an ice cube only to have the glass of root beer foam over the top [Humm, does that happen if the ice cube is very very pure water? Is it metallic minerals or just surfaces?]...and the way that very pure water can be super heated in a microwave without boiling, then explode in your face when you put a spoon in it.
Apparently, gasses can do very strange things when there are surfaces around without being 'involved' with those surfaces in a 'chemical' way.

The next question will be, is it only copper that does this, or does any 'different' metallic surface do it?
[I haven't noticed that a piece of silver wire does this thing nor have I tried any other dissimilar metal.]
Does it have to be metallic, or just a surface? Placing a piece of white insulated copper wire in the CS results in the exposed ends gathering the fuzzy black stuff, but not the plastic. [Though it will stain brown to blackish if ionic CS dries on it]

I know that if you leave a darkly colored CS in a clear glass container for a long time, the glass becomes tinted as the water clears. Glass has various metallic and semi metallic componants. I've only used canning jars not borosilicate glass for long term storage and have made very few batches with color to them and kept even fewer.
H2O2 makes that coating vanish instantly even if the container is emptied and dried..almost as fast as it removes oxide deposits from an electrode.
And the H2O2 doesn't get tinted.

More questions than answers, ey?

Ode

>>>Thanks,
Phinneas

<<<<

-- The Silver List is a moderated forum for discussing Colloidal Silver.