Adding a bit of DMSO will help the CS penetrate to the microbe causing
the infection. Try a feed store, vet or www.jeffersequine.com

Another option is to mix essential oil of Thyme and Oregano with a
carrier oil, Apricot, Jojoba or Almond Oil are nice light oils. A few
drops of the EOs in a tablespoon of carrier. This worked on a fungus
infection (which could be part of the ear infection, fungus loves to
grow where bacteria has set up nice weepy conditions) that my dog had on
the edge of his lips after fire ants bit him there. The DMSO CS was just
not doing it, after a week or so, so I tried this and it was faster, not
sure why, maybe because I was only treating him once a day and the oil
stayed on longer?

Garnet