According to information I have read, cats have a unique liver metabolism among mammals. This does not rule out individual differences, but it is a species biological blueprint that is just part of the evolutionary and genetic uniqueness of the cat. It is why a dog can have an aspirin and a cat cannot. My cat vet says it takes an average 10 lb cat about 4 days to metabolize 1/4 of a baby aspirin. My 3.5 lb rabbit can have a whole baby aspirin every 4 to 6 hours.........when you think about it, this is an amazing difference. I also agree that "do no harm" is the first and overwhelming rule, followed closely by "better safe than sorry". That so many of us on this list use so many different alternative treatments and approaches is evidence that we do not need to pick one alternative, such as EOs and use it come hell or high water---where there are safer alternatives, why not use them? CS/DMSO is one alternative for any infection, wound, etc that works extremely well, and does not, so far as I am aware at this time, have the potential for liver damage for cats. If DMSO sits in a cat's liver like EO chemicals do, that would be dangerous, too. So if anyone does have any info that cat's have a problem with DMSO I would very much appreciate hearing about it, along with any links, articles, etc. as I also use EIS-DMSO for my cats once in a while. As: my cat had to have a thyroid test Thursday, and since he is nervous and twitchy the vet had a hard time doing the blood draw, so he had more than one stick, with little scabs, slightly swollen. I dabbed on some 20% DMSO(80% EIS), a couple of times, and it has healed just unbelievably fast, and it seemed to remove all tenderness and irritation within a few hours.
TIA,
sol

Garnet wrote:

Although I am very open to hear any verifiable information that EOs are
not liver toxic for cats, just because some have survived does not mean
they are safe for all cats, or even the one that survives.

Right now on cat wounds or allergic skin stuff I use 20% DMSO and CS or
just 50% DMSO. I have one semi-wild cat that gets bare weepy spots each
spring and fall on her feet, belly, and neck. One application of 50%
DMSO clears them up enough that they heal over, two would be better.

Sometimes it is hard for us to believe sensitivities that vary so widely
from what we know in other species or ourselves.

Dilute EOs may be tolerated on a short term or one time basis, but you
have to ask yourself what are you compromising for the liver to handle
even that much? We don't know.
According to the Total Load Theory it is not the single exposure that
does the damage, it is the total accumulation of all exposures and the
toll they take, that then allows that one straw to "break the camel's
back". Could be that cats are more sensitive these days due to genetics,
lots of in bred cats out there, or city living.
When there are safe-er alternatives why not use what we know is not
harmful, isn't that the whole point of doing alt med in the first place?