Dear Jason,

Thank you very much for your information and
citations! I agree that cobalt chloride is not a substance
people should be ingesting. As you point, some organic
compunds would be safer.

But Searle made the point repeatedly that colloids of
metals can be  much less toxic that dissolved
ionic compounds or organic compounds. For example,
colloidal gold is much less toxic than gold chloride,
colloidal silver is much less toxic than silver chloride,
colloidal mercury is much less toxic than mercuric chloride.
(The colloid of mercury was actually used therapeutically
in the early 20th century - until it was superceded by CS.)

But I agree with you, these are things too dangerous
for the layman to investigate.

Thanks again, and best regards,

Matthew