Re: CS>Hanna Meter Model Number
From: Dan Nave
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2004 19:56:48

  > Ode and Mike,

  > As you  indicate,  the range that we would use the PWT  is  at the
  > lower end  of the meter's range. The accuracy, when  calibrated at
  > full scale,  along with the linearity of the  response,  makes the
  > error large  when compared to the smaller readings at the  low end
  > of the scale.

  > I would  suggest,  then,  that we  increase  the  accuracy  of the
  > readings in  the range that we will be using them. The  way  to do
  > this is  to calibrate the meter at the maximum uS reading  that we
  > are likely to encounter, say, between 25 to 30 uS. This will throw
  > off the  accuracy at readings substantially above this  level, but
  > will increase  the  accuracy between 0 and 30 uS.  So,  unless the
  > linearity of  the  meter's  response   between   0  and  30  uS is
  > particularly bad, we would approach an accuracy of near +/-  2% of
  > full scale,  with  full  scale being 20 or 30  uS  (our  new "full
  > scale" value).  If  the   linearity   between   0   and  30  uS is
  > particularly bad, then we will not achieve this accuracy,  and the
  > accuracy of the meter with normal calibration will also be bad; in
  > short the meter would be useless for our purposes...

  > Dan

  Hi Dan,

  Good suggestions -  but the standard Hanna  calibration  solution is
  84uS. It could be diluted two or three times, and then you  have the
  problem of  maintaining  better   than   2%  accuracy.  That  may be
  difficult to do.

  NIST-traceable calibration  solutions are available that  may  be in
  our ppm range, but they are very expensive.

  I think  the  real  issue  is making  sure  the  process  is working
  properly and  getting good repeatability. In my case, I have  a good
  constant current  source and I use the Faraday equations  to predict
  when it  will hit 22 ppm, which is when the gray  whiskers  start to
  form on the cathode. A typical brew takes 6 hrs or so, and I  may be
  a bit  late  returning from shopping or some  other  distraction may
  occur. So  I don't always stop it exactly on time,  but  that really
  doesn't matter  much.  Then I reverse the polarity  and  let  it run
  another hour or so. I am confident the resulting cs is above 20 ppm,
  but I don't know by how much.

  One way  to tell is the reaction on your teeth after holding  the cs
  in your mouth for ten minutes. I get a raspy feeling when I  move my
  tongue along the teeth, and any plaque falls off sometime  later. So
  I know it's getting in there and killing bacteria.

  So I'd  suggest  calibrating  a Hanna at  several  points  using the
  Faraday equations  and  plot  the results. If  you  use  low current
  density, the  results should be reasonably accurate up to 22  ppm or
  so. Of  course, Ken's suggestions on temperature  control  should be
  followed.

  Also, I'd probably stick with using only one Hanna.

  Like they say, a man with one watch always knows what time it  is. A
  man with two watches is never certain:)

Best Wishes,

Mike Monett