RE: CS> CS and the blood-brain barrier
From: <tlwidmer
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2004 07:12:04
http://escribe.com/health/thesilverlist/m74686.html

  > Hello all

  > My husband's  major  objection  to  using  CS  is  the  fact that,
  > included in  the  information  I  gave  him  to  read  up  on it's
  > benefits, he  read  one  sentence  which  said  that  there  was a
  > question as  to  whether it was toxic to the  nervous  system, but
  > since it  couldn't cross the BBB unless in the presence  of citric
  > acid, the  brain was in no danger. [sigh] So, is it  toxic  in any
  > way?

  > Thanks
  > Theresa

  Hi Theresa,

  I think if you ask the oldtimers who have been taking cs  for years,
  all will  agree  that ionic cs is not toxic to humans.  It  is toxic
  only to bacteria, viruses and probably most fungii.

  However, silver  compounds such as silver nitrate,  silver chloride,
  silver oxides,  mild  silver protein, etc,  can  be  harmful. Silver
  nitrate can  damage  tissue,  and   the  other  compounds  may cause
  Argyria.

  Also, some  people,  including myself, may find  that  cs  kills the
  friendly flora  in the intestine, leading to  digestive  upset. This
  can be  corrected  by  using  sublingual  absorption,  or  by taking
  acidophilus.

  Silver is  an oligodynamic material. The following is copied  from a

  The term  "oligodynamic"  was first used by von  Nageli  in  1893 to
  define a  material  that  is  "effective  in  small  quantities." It
  includes heavy metals such as mercury, copper, and silver.

  One characteristic is extreme toxicity to bacteria, described in the
  following excerpt  from the "British Columbia Ambient  Water Quality
  Criteria for Silver". This emphasizes the ionic form  is responsible
  for the biological activity:

    "Application of Criteria for Aquatic Life"

    "Silver is  a  disinfectant   for  non-spore  forming  bacteria at
    concentrations about 1000 times lower than the levels at  which it
    is toxic  to mammalian life.  This  extreme mammalian-to-bacterial
    toxicity differential  is   the   definition   of  an oligodynamic
    material."

    "The low concentration necessary for oligodynamic  activity allows
    silver or  one of its insoluble salts to be  used  indefinitely in
    contact with sterile liquids without silver levels building  up to
    concentrations harmful to people."

    "The biological effects of silver are apparently due to reversible
    bonds with  enzymes and other active molecules on  the  surface of
    cells.    Due    to     its     sulphydryl    binding  propensity,
    biologically-available    silver   disrupts   membranes,  disables
    proteins and inhibits enzymes."

    "The ionic form of silver is necessary for biological activity and
    the lipid  phase  of  the  membrane  appears  to  be  important in
    adsorbing silver ions to living cells. The active sites on enzymes
    which are  affected  by silver  are  apparently  the electron-rich
    functional groups such as-SH groups."

   http://wlapwww.gov.bc.ca/wat/wq/BCguidelines/silver/bcsilver-04.htm

  I suffer  from  hypersensitivity to mold  toxins,  which  causes all
  sorts of  neurological  problems. I find  taking  high-ppm  ionic cs
  definitely helps reduce the symptoms, and helps heal the damage from
  the spores, which are present everywhere in the environment.

  The exposure  to mold toxins also led to a  serious  ongoing problem
  with Shingles, which results in severe nerve damage.  High-ppm ionic
  cs is  the only thing that keeps it under control. I  believe others
  who suffer from MS have posted positive reports after taking cs.

  So my  conclusion is cs helps to heal damage to the  nervous system,
  as well as all the other benefits commonly reported. I don't know if
  it crosses the blood-brain barrier or not, but I see no reason to be
  concerned if it does. I believe it can only help.

Best Wishes,

Mike Monett