----- Original Message -----
From: "ransley" <rans...@atmc.net>
To: "The Silverlist" <silver-list@eskimo.com>; "fg227" <fig...@comcast.net>
Sent: Monday, November 29, 2004 3:40 PM
Subject: RE: CS>Air compressors- safe ones for use with Harbor Freight
airbrush nebulizer

> I own and use several air compressors in my business. I would never even
> think about paying money for a Campbell-Hausfeld. They are mostly good for
> making noise and making your electricity meter spin fast. The selection of
> oilless compressors from Lowe's or Home Depot are superior to anything at
> WalMart.
>
> The 12 volt compressors all make a lot of noise and won't last long under
> continued use.

Are those 12 volt compressors oilless? I may use one as a stop gap measure
since they are cheap. $10.

They do not shut off automatically. If I wanted to nebulize
> while traveling I would simply use a large CLEAN air tank, filled from an
> OILLESS compressor at home- not from any compressors at gas stations or
tire
> shops.

Those are 110 volt compressors. When a compressor is called oiless does that
mean for sure no oil contamination in the compressed air? Are oiless
compressors usually pancake style instead of piston?

>To conserve air I would use an off-on valve to allow the air to enter
> the nebulizer only when I wanted to breathe it. This in addition to a
> regulator set for about 15 psi.
>
> I can't legally tell you that it will be OK for you to breathe any air
from
> any air compressor. I can only tell you that I, my wife and my children
have
> nebulized CS many times with air from a Hitachi "pancake" style oilless
air
> compressor, no filter, no ill effects.

Do you have the Hitachi model number so I can compare it with others?

> I learned how to do all of this back when nebulizers could not be bought
for
> less than $250.
>
> Now you can buy them in the $50 range, and you can even buy rechargeable
> battery powered ones that are small and portable. Why mess with air
> compressors and airbrushes, unless you have very serious problems that may
> benefit from the more directed spray of an airbrush possibly coupled with
> pure oxygen from a tank?

I'm looking for the directed spray. I have a Wal Greens personal humidifier
and would like to try directed spray of CS/DMSO/MSM.  Air or O2 under
pressure. O2 would be my preference.

The only reason I still do it this way is because I
> already have all the stuff paid for, but it's all very noisy and
cumbersome,
> and I may change my ways.

I get your point!
It's a real problem getting medical O2 tanks filled. I have a small medical
one
I'm also thinking of buying a new O2 tank (uncontaminated, no rust ) at a
welding supply that I will bring in to be filled and return the next day if
necessary. The usual practice is to give them your empty tank and get one of
their funky old tanks in exchange immediately.

Anyone know what size O2 welding tank one can easily wrestle into one's own
car trunk?

Dan