As I have been asked multiple times, recently, where persons may
obtain reasonably-priced native Rosa Rugosa plants.....following is my answer
to Wayne Fugitt's inquiry.  I believe this information will be of interest to
all of you who contacted me on this matter.  There are other economical
sources, but these people appear to have the lowest prices for bare-root
seedlings.  I have, presently on order, an additional 25 plants from them.
This is the first time for us to order from them.  I will post comment on my
opinion of their stock....as soon as I receive the plants.  If they are
satisfactory I intend to obtain an additional 200.
            Additionally, for list members interested in the long-term
preservation of material obtained via grinding, pulverizing, powdering the
gross "hips" from Rosa Rugosa I suggest consideration of the following:  Obtain
a vacuum sealing machine used for packaging home-grown fruits, vegetables,
etc., and use it to vacuum seal your hips in medium size plastic enclosures.
Then store them at 20 degrees F, or lower.....the material will keep for
extended periods of time (beyond 3 years) with only marginal reduction of
effectivity.  For those possessing large quantities of hips, a somewhat similar
procedure utilizing larger ready-to-use vacuum bags which can be evacuated by
most conventional home vacuum systems (upright or canister)...to
a sufficiently-low vacuum to enable a very close proximity to the results of
the system memtioned above.  I do not, off-hand, remember the exact
manufacturer of the specific bags we utilized for the home-vacuum technique;
but I believe a reasonable facsimile may be located via a Google search.
              I hope this information is of some value to interested parties.
                          Sincerely,  Brooks Bradley.
 Dear Wayne,
         Try Four Seasons Nursery, Division of Plantron Inc.  1706 Morissey
Drive, Bloomington, Ill.  61704.   They will sell you 24 small native Rosa
Rugosas for 24.95...total cost.  Ph. 309-834-7200.  I suggest you plant them in
1 gallon posts for the first year....unless you are in the deep south.  In that
case you might opt to just plant them in a well-prepared hole and at a 5 to 6
foot interval....and turn them loose.   Good luck, Brooks.
P.S.  I am planting an additional 100 plants this year.....myself.  These
[plants will produce (about 15 % of them) some hips the second year.  85% of
them will produce a reasonable crop of hips the 3rd year and a bountiful one
from then on.
From: Wayne Fugitt <cwfug...@earthlink.net>