The question of purity of DMSO has surfaced multiple times (on
this list) over the past seven years.....the pertinent parameters remain the
same.  A majority of DMSO produced in the USA originates with about three
companies, the largest producer remains James River Paper Co. (formerly Crown
Zellerbach)...or at least our purchasing agent informs me.  As DMSO is
produced, primarily, as a universal-type chemical solvent....the commercial
market for medical applications remains a microscopic one (in terms of total
dollars).  The purity question hardly (it seems to me) demands intense
examination....as the only concern of high order would appear to be one of
contamination through negligent bottling/packaging techniques.  (The bulk DMSO
product is routinely and regularly verified by U.S. Government Chemical Process
Inspectors.) While conceivable in nature, such infrequent potential aberrations
do not readily recommend a major concern.  At least they never have with us.
Early on (circa 1992)in our evaluations of DMSO purity (at the beginning of our
personal human experimentations....primarily topical in character), we did
conduct contamination analyses on separate purchases from different
wholesale...and retail...vendors.  After 50 or so series of tests we
discontinued the practice.  It is conceivable that the plastic vessels
containing a majority of the product sold to the general public, might reveal
some out-gassing from the container material....but we have never found such
evidence.  While there are sellers of DMSO material touted as "Medical Grade",
we have been unable to detect ANY differences (except the glass container),
whatsoever, between the product sold by the local Agricultural Feed Store and
that offered by Medical Supply houses at a price increase of an order of
magnitude.
                In closing I would like to add that due to the EXTREMELY
powerful solvent, entraining and transport capabilities of DMSO....maintaining
rational precautions regarding what---and how---companion substances are
incorporated recommends good judgement.
                       Sincerely,  Brooks Bradley.  Harborne Research
Foundation.