There is a great difference between digestibility and the effect of the enzyme and the lactose/galactose/galactase on the eyes. That effect really has nothing to do with digestibility, nor the other benefits or drawbacks of factory farmed dairy over organic natural dairy.

To say that digestibility or the presence of an enzyme or helpful bacteria have any effect on whether dairy products produce cataracts or not, has not been researched at all. Indeed it is the lactose digesting enzyme itself which is thought to be the cause of cataracts in some people, because (I read) it is thought to somehow pass into the lens of the eye. Therefore it is a great leap of faith to say digestibility and otherwise healthfulness of the product equates to no cataract risk from consumption.

I didn't put forth the idea to tweak anyones personal belief buttons re dairy consumption, but to put before the group another possiblility of cataract causation. Because anything can be worth trying, to slow or stop a cataract and reverse it, rather than having to face surgery. As in everything else posted re cataracts, catching one early is the best hope of reversal, no matter what treatment is used.

Mike, if you think this has gone too far off topic, I'd be glad to take it to the OT list. But to bring it back to CS----I have wondered if CS use has something to do with why I am now able to (apparently--one more eye exam should tell for sure) not only digest dairy, but have not had any recurrence of the early stage cataract since the year of zero dairy intake. In the past two years, I have been misting my eyes and taking orally, CS daily. Given that not much else has changed, it seems likely that CS is what is helping. But again, I'm conservative, and need the results of one more eye exam to feel certain.

I have also been wondering, since many people have reported successful use of CS/DMSO eye drops for cataract reversal, whether using such an eyedrop a few times per week would have preventative effects for us older folks who are entering the years when cataracts start to develop.

For anyone who is curious, my current dairy consumption is limited to a very few items, and contains no regular cow milk, and none of the cheeses or additive filled dairy products that are also full of thickeners, etc. Organic (at least locally available brands) is no guarantee there no seaweed thickeners and other nasty stuff in the product. So I usually say real organic is just not available here.
sol

bbanever wrote:

sol,
One reason raw milk is so much easier to digest compared to pasteurized milk is due to the presence of lactase, the enzyme that breaks down milk sugar and which many humans are unable to produce. The experts I have spoken with deny the presence of lactase in raw milk; however, it is the friendly bacteria in raw milk that facilitate the creation of lactase in the intestine where it is needed. That is why lactose-intolerant people can drink raw milk without a problem. Pasteurization kills these friendly bacteria.

Bob