Matthew said,
“If  the 0.1 M solution is transparent and colorless,
then a 0.1 millimolar solution (about 10 ppm Ag+)
will surely be transparent and colorless too, don't
you
agree?”

Yes, I do. My point was that, because of silver
nitrate’s distinct staining propensity, it seems to
lend itself to argyria much more readily. Would it do
that if it did not have this pronounced staining
characteristic? To attempt to determine that, we would
need to see if other, colorless silver preparations
that do not have staining characteristics also cause
argyria. Have you read anywhere what the ppm of the
silver nitrate was that caused argyria? What would
have been the ppm of the silver nitrate that we
believe Rosemary Jacobs used (based on the practice of
medical doctors of the day at that time)? However, in
my mind, the usual warnings from various agencies of
silver nitrate’s tendency to stain the skin make me
wonder how big a part that staining mechanism plays in
its causation of argyria.

“Also, I did get a hold of Hill and Pillsbury's
summary
(chapter IX, pp 128-131.) They report:

"Generalized argyria has been reported to have been
produced by EVERY compound of silver in common
clinical use at the present (1939) time, with the
exception of silver oxide." (capitalization mine.)”

The various reports I have read from the turn of the
century about argyria (excluding the silver-smith
type) were mostly deliberately induced by the
administration of very large amounts of very high ppm
silver compounds to rats, dogs, etc. The above
statement from Hill & Pillsbury is not concerning
argyria contracted by humans. Yes, every silver
compound administered in high dosages with high ppm
levels (1,000+ ppm) produced argyria in lab animals,
and would have no doubt done so in humans.

“In their summary, Hill and Pillsbury also state about
silver:

"Transportation in the body occurs principally via the
blood stream and to some extent via the lymphatics.
A majority of investigators believe that it is
transported in the form of chloride or albuminate."

“Silver albuminate could be formed by a reaction of
blood serum (not blood cells) with silver ions in
solution.”

This last statement would seem to make any type of
silver ingestion dangerous, since we are all ingesting
“silver ions in solution”. I’m sorry, but it is a
meaningless statement. To state that something “could
be formed” merely means that it is hypothetically
possible. In fact, the experience of many users
disputes it.

We must be sure we are not talking apples and oranges
here. My interest is not in whether it is possible to
cause argyria in specific, artificial conditions,
using specialized pharmaceutical preparations, but
whether it is likely, or even possible to cause it
within the parameters of the folks who are making
home-made CS. It is my firm stance that if a person
makes CS with pure, Fine silver, using any type of
water, and does not brew it to a coffee color, argyria
is a non-factor. Keep it clear to yellow and it
doesn’t matter how much you drink.

I am concerned that our continuing discussion will
become a contention, which I want to avoid.

Is it possible to contract argyria from a silver
preparation? Yes. Is it possible to get it from a
clear one? Yes (if it’s silver nitrate). Is it
possible to accidentally do it at home making it with
low voltage (below 120 volts) and Fine silver
wire/rods/bars? Not if you keep it clear or yellow.
(IMHO)

Terry Chamberlin