I've made gel with just CS and Xanthan Gum. Xanthan Gum is cheap and its
supposed to be very safe. (Its also used as an ingredient in gluten free
foods foods I think). A 100 g packet from the health food store is about
$7 Australian. I estimate thats enough to make about a gallon of gel.
But I suggest you just make what you can use in a reasonable time.  I
sat an open jar of Gel made with plain water and X-gum on a window ledge
outside and it started to develop mold spots after about 10 days.  A jar
made with  CS and X-gum took about 20 days to go spotty.

I also made up a jar using CS , X-gum, MSM, and a couple of drops of Old
Spice After Shave.  This has been kept inside and only opened a couple
of times of day. So far its shown no sign of mold after about 6 weeks.
I'm not sure if its the MSM, the closed jar, or the after-shave thats
providing the mold prevention.  My partner is using this on her dry
elbows.  (There's no real logic behind this at all.)  Its not real
pretty to look at (the gel I mean) because I made it with extra strong
CS that's very light sensitive so it's gone a bit of a grey color. Then
again, to make it a pretty color it would probably need even more
ingredients of dubious merit.

I'm sure pure CS sprayed straight onto the skin would normally be more
effective than a gel, but a gel is less messy sometimes and has a
certain psychological appeal.

If you search this list you'll find a recipe for CS Gel using Xanthan,
but it has other ingredents that I dont understand and I figure the
fewer the ingredients the better.

As for applying CS gels to wounds, I have some issues with this. The CS
is not a concern, but what about the other ingredients in commercial and
home-made gels? The gels feel nice but are the extra ingredients going
to help or hinder the healing?  I assume the silver particles (or
oxides) would be bound in the gel until they are absorbed through the
skin, but what happens to the silver ions in a gel?   There doesn't seem
to be any real research or even  reliable anecdotal evidence behind
this.

David