Reproducing the archives' search capabilities would
be an arduous undertaking. Maybe a solution would
be to decentralize the task by do-it-yourself archive
searches. If I am not mistaken, the unix shell utilities
awk (or gawk) can do this. More powerful string handling
can be done with spitbol. Cat's Paw in Salidas CO
provided spitbol once upon a time; maybe they still do.
There may be a steep learning curve. But once its
done, its done.

The past archives could be distributed on cdrom,
zip disk or tape, while the Silver-List could continue as it is to supply daily
updates.
I haven't done anything like this, but surely somebody
on the List
has had experience with disbanded bioinformatics projects
with similar archive continuation problems. If so,
thanks in advance for your input.

Best regards,

Matthew