  From: Ken & Nancy Bagwell
  To: silver-list@eskimo.com
  Cc: tx30...@sbcglobal.net
  Sent: Thursday, September 01, 2005 1:41 PM
  Subject: Re: CS>nebulizer

  Carolyn,

  In briefly going through the search for one myself,
  here's what I found:

  The optimal particle size for nebulzing is 2-5
  microns. The mist created by the nebulizers have
  percentages, like 45% of mist is 5 micron, 25% is 2
  micron and rest is 3 micron or something like that.

  The ultrasonic types make the mist by vibrating the
  solution very rapidly. Seems to make small micron
  sizes like a compressor type.  Particle sizes in this
  are usually 3-5 micron. Ultrasonic tech seems used
  mostly in micro-sized portables. Appears these units
  last about 1 year, but on how much use, I'm not sure.
  Omron is popular some units make an advertised 3-5
  micron particle mist.

  The compressor type is the original or older nebulizer
  technology. It forces air into the nebulizer half,
  which then makes a mist.  For compressor types, you
  need the compressor unit, and then the nebulizer part.
  Many of these compressor types use disposable
  nebulizers that make anywhere between 0.5 micron and
  10 micron. If you want the better 2-5 micron particle
  sizing, it seems the reusable nebulizers parts are
  better, and some units come with these, and some
  don't. The reusables are fairly inexpensive at less
  than $20 for something that should last 6 months.
  Compressor types also come in portable sizes. The Pari
  brand looks like one of the better nebulizer designs
  used on compressors.

  I'm not sure that ultrasonic is "better" than
  compressor/nebulizers, they're just smaller.

  eBay is a good place to look.  I bought a nearly new
  Pari compressor unit for $27.00. The compressor didn't
  come with the Pari LC series nebulizer, which I
  thought I could buy seperately with no problem.
  However, I found out that one needs a prescription in
  order to get a nebulizer. Canadian nebulizer sources
  say they will not ship to CA address without a
  prescription, and UK sources also require a
  prescription.

  Options are to get the nebulizer through prescription.
  Or w/o a prescription: off eBay, or from Canada and
  sent to a non-CA address.

  -Ken Bagwell

  http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs