Hi Deborah,

No rule to the length. but one thing I do is to round the ends of the wire nice
and smooth to eliminate any points. that way the voltage gradient density
remains more even aronud all parts of the wire . I also spread the wires out a
little so the tips are further apart than the rest of the wire this also helps
with the voltage gradient on the tips of the wire making a more even gradient
around all parts of the wire. so the tips of the wires might be 2 inches apart
where as the upper part of the wire may only be 1 inch apart.

the length doe not matter much, jsut so it fits in the container you  use it in.

Take care,