Jill said: I see that VCNO means virgin coconut oil.

They have borrowed the term from the olive oil industry, because there was
no agreed terminology in coconut oil production to describe what they are
doing.  It is not universal at the moment, as I understand it, that one term
means one particular thing, and there is no central body really to determine
what things should be called.  Another thing is that it is open to abuse by
people who want to sell their RBD (refined bleached and deodorised) oil to
jump on the bandwagon and call their oil virgin.  So we need to be sure what
process is used in manufacture and what interpretation they put on the
terminology when choosing a product - I guess look up a website to see what
they are doing in detail.

"Hydrogenated" is not good in any oil.  I don't know what the effect of
nitrogen is, but one company who sells CO in tins boasts on their website
(but not on the cans) that they put nitrogen to preserve freshness.  I did a
search on nitrogen, but didn't end up much wiser.   One coconut oil maker
reckoned it was great, but there was a deafening silence from VCNO makers on
the subject.  I emailed the "Nitrogenated" oil makers, but they never
replied.  I never intended to eat their product (unless it was wonderful),
just to make soap.

After reading up on moles etc. and VCNO, I decided I would go with my gut
and put VCNO on DH's plaster for non-stickability instead of vaseline.  I'd
left it alone for 48 hours rather than keep fiddling with it.  Checked it,
and it looked pretty good.  I won't describe it unless any of you want me
to.

Yes, I always use CS, and there is DMSO in the salve.  I cleaned it up with
CS and H2O2 3% tonight.  Not that there was any work to do, but I just
thought the skin around should have a bit of silver and oxygen.

I'm a bit concerned about the eschar getting compressed, as it's on the
spine, so put a little wad of cotton wool below the site like a cushion, but
not above in case it slipped down and got stuck to anything.

Pretty pleased with progress.

Rowena