Hi Carol,
Try to fix the distance between the electrodes. That is something which causes
the
process to vary. I use 1/2" for my 9v setup so try something like 1 1/2" or 2"
for 30 v.

By the way is that powerpack giving you direct current? It should say dc or
have an =
sign.   I would not use ac for this process.

8" by 14 swg is 8" x 0.064" diameter, according to the table here. That is 1.60
square
inches. So for 1mA/inchsq go for 1.6mA max. You could put a current regulator
diode in line. Try a 1N5302 for 1.5mA

Regards,
Tony

"When you are expansive no matter what the weather
you are in an open, windy field with friends."  --Rumi

Subject : Re: CS>Maximum silver