"M. G. Devour" wrote:

> Jason asks:
> > Are these 150 watt heaters suitable for human use? ... or would one
> > truly need a 300 watt far infrared heater?
>
> Two 150's side by side is going to be hard to distinguish from one 300.
> <grin>

But is 300 watts necessary?  That is a heck of a lot of power to be pumping
into one's body, a person normally generates about 100 watts of heat, so
that would increase their heat load by 300%.  The body would have to
dissipate 4X as much as as normal, and if using it on an extremety could
result in overheating or even cooking I would think.

> One question worth asking is what kind of electromagnetic field do they
> generate? If I put myself in a box with a bunch of these, how bad is
> the bombardment?

They generate far infrared.  It is similar to the radiation you feel coming
off of a hot pan and will contain both far as well as near infrared.  Use
of some cotton between it and your body will eliminate the near infrared
(that has very little penetrating power), leaving the deep penetration far
infrared.

Refrigerators are being made with far infrared compartments for meat. They
claim that the far infrared increases the nucleic acid in meat, making it
maintain it's taste longer.  This could be a hint on what it does in the
body as well.  Also there is a paper on pasturization using far infrared,
which might mean it is capable of killing pathogens in the body as well:

TI Far-infrared irradiation effect on pasteurization of bacteria on or
 within wet-solid medium
AU Hashimoto, Atsushi; Igarashi, Hideo; Shimizu, Masaru
AF Tokyo Univ of Agriculture & Technology
AC Tokyo
AY Jpn
SE J Chem Eng Jpn
ST Journal of Chemical Engineering of Japan
SN 0021-9592
CN JCEJAQ
IG 0078972 ISL n 6 SD Dec VOL v 25 YR 1992
AT (Author abstract) NR 9 Refs AB
The present purpose is to study the influence of far-infrared
irradiation on pasteurization of Escherichia coli and Staphylococcus
aureus on or within a model for wet-solid food. Agar medium was used
as the food model. By determining the thermal resistances of the test
bacteria, the pasteurization effect of far-infrared irradiation
(radiative heating) was compared with that of hot-air heating
(a conventional method) from the viewpoint of thermal death kinetics.
It was found experimentally that far-infrared irradiation is more
effective than hot-air heating for the test bacteria on the agar-plate.

More information on FIR can be found here:
http://www.chimachine4u.com/fir.html

Marshall