Hi, you might try an ultrasonic humidifier (other kinds don't work) I put some CS in it and breath the very fine fog that comes out; but Marmar's right, get a doc to check for the cause of the irritation. The ultrasonic humidifiers are available at almost any large drugstore.
Hope this helps,  Malcolm