Sol wrote:

>I looked up Staber washers and was really interested until I read this
http://www.consumeraffairs.com/homeowners/staber_industries.html<

Dagnabbit! Now you've gone and broke my heart. A few years ago I wrote a
hatchet piece like that about my Maytag Neptune and posted it somewhere on
Yahoo.

Now I really don't know what I'll do for my next washer. I thought the
Staber was a return to good core values in machinery.  I am really gunshy
about washers with too much electronic apparatus and too many options
crammed in them. Fumes from detergents and bleach can destroy many
components and drive them haywire.

Oh well, my Neptune will probably run for many more years now that I
stripped out the problem electronics, bolted the drum with grade 8 bolts and
locknuts, removed all door lock mechanisms and drilled two holes in the
front of it to attach a black rubber bungee cord across the front to keep
the door closed while it runs and installed the kit that allows the front of
the tub to drain so it won't stink.

Sigh. Daddybob