Mike,

Sorry to bring this subject up again, but there may be another reason to
ask people to disable html when posting to the silver list.

On one of the newsgroups I inhabit, sci.electronics.design, someone
recently posted a link to an enginering site. When engineers clicked on the
link, their antivirus programs and incoming filters showed the presence of
a virus on their computers. It took a bit of effort to find out how it got
there.

Now we all know (don't we?) that viruses can take advantage of javascript
flaws to sneak onto your computer. But this virus had an unusual method of
infection that invoked Visual Basic, and it would automatically infect with
no user action other than clicking on the link. It was an extremely nasty
virus and would damage most of the files on your disk. But it required html
to propagate.

The Mafia and other criminals have discovered the wealth available on the
web by finding new ways to infect computers and steal bank and credit card
account information and passwords. All it would take is one person to get
infected, and everyone would get hit.

The results would depend on what safeguards different people use, but it is
possible that new methods might be developed that bypass current methods.
Any we may not find out for a long time that we have been compromised.

So it might be a good idea to suggest a bit more strongly that people
should not use html to post.

I don't know what email clients people use, but it is most likely Outlook.
This would immediately run the embedded virus and infect the computer.
There are many other browsers and email clients that don't have the
problems that Microsoft has, and it might be a good idea to look at Firefox
and Opera for browsing, and any of the multitude of email clients for
posting. Even these cannot guarantee immunity, so get a good firewall if
you don't have one, and keep practising safe hex.

Best Wishes,

Mike M.