You can search the net for other articles, but here is the first one I
found:

http://www.webmd.com/hw/being_pregnant/hw42062.asp

"Human Chorionic Gonadotropin (hCG)

Test Overview

The human chorionic gonadotropin (hCG) test is done to measure the
amount of the hormone hCG in blood or urine to determine whether a woman
is pregnant. HCG is produced by the placenta during pregnancy.

HCG may also be produced abnormally by certain tumors, especially those
that develop from an egg or sperm (germ cell tumors). Therefore, hCG
levels are usually tested in a woman who may have cancer of the ovaries
or abnormal tissue growing in her uterus (molar pregnancy) instead of a
normal fetus. In a man, hCG levels may be measured to help determine
whether he has cancer of the testicles."

Marshall