Dan said,
>I do have some philosophical problem with unending
supplementation especially such as the very large
vitamin C intake of the Rath/Pauling protocol…I tend
toward preferring dietary changes as opposed to taking
refined supplements ("Let your food be your
medicine"...etc).<

This would a reasonable eating philosophy if it were
possible to obtain the nutrients we needed from any
food grown today. But the level of soil
demineralization in North America is far more serious
than most people suppose. U.S. Senate Report #264
declares the mineral-poor soil condition in North
America to have reached a serious, even disastrous
level. This is even more significant when you consider
that this report was published in 1936! If you buy a
nice, green head of broccoli from your local grocer,
it will have six, maybe eight minerals in it. But your
body needs at least 65 major and trace minerals (Dr.
Carey Reams said we need 100+). So, by merely eating
"good" foods (as they are commercially grown today),
you not only cannot replace the minerals your body is
lacking, you cannot even maintain pre-existing good
health, even if you already had it. To give you an
idea of the extent of the deficiency of minerals in
modern farming soils, let me demonstrate: I once read
a book about the importance of minerals in our diet.
(The Healing Power of Minerals, Special Nutrients and
Trace Minerals” by Paul Bergner) On page 47 was a
chart showing the mineral content of apples in 1914
and apples in 1992 (when this book was written). You
would have had to have eaten 26 1992 apples to equal
the mineral content of one 1914 apple. We are talking
about today’s food containing less than 4% of the
minerals our food contained not even 100 years ago.

When I was in training with Reams’ son in 1984, the
question of Good Food arose. Another student asked
about the advantages of buying organic vegetables, or
growing your own. Reams described a world-wide
phenomenon. He said, if a man had a big organic farm,
and next to him was another man with a regular
commercial farm, the commercial farmland would leach
the minerals from the organic farmland (Nature abhors
a vacuum). He said that the large expanses of
commercial farms throughout North America (where the
farmers deplete the minerals in the soil but replace
very few) was draining the minerals from the rest of
the North American continent. The soil that you might
be growing your organic garden in, even though
hundreds of miles away from a commercial farm, no
longer contains the minerals it did 100 years ago.
Obviously, it is still better to eat foods grown in
soils into which you or an organic farmer has
attempted to replace the minerals (composting, animal
manure, kelp, etc.), but the reality is that most of
us do not have access to an Only-organic diet. Plus,
nowadays, Organic merely means No Bug Spray. It
doesn’t guarantee adequate mineral replacement.

So nutrient supplementation is essential, and when you
consider that we are trying to offset a lifetime (so
far) of eating foods with 4% of the nutrients we need,
the level of supplementation we actually need is
significant. To make matters worse, we don’t just eat
low-nutrient foods, we eat negative-nutrient foods
(processed foods). When you eat a food that has had
the nutrients deliberately removed (white flour, white
sugar, white rice, etc.) in order to extend its
shelf-life, your body must come up with the nutrients
that are missing from that food. The biggest problem
with processed foods is not that they have little/no
nutrients, but that they cause your body to steal
minerals from itself to make up for what’s been
removed from the processed food. In effect, your body
digests itself. A lifetime of eating processed foods
(as most of us have done) causes a nutrient deficiency
hole that is very deep and cannot be refilled by
simply eating Good Food, organic or not.

Some of you may remember Jack La Lane, the famous
health guru. When he was 60 years old, Jack swam from
Alcatraz Island to Fisherman's Wharf (which was
supposed to be impossible). He was handcuffed and his
ankles were shackled and he was towing a 1,000-pound
boat. He consumed a daily diet that included his own
specially designed blender mix, including 100+
supplement tablets - desiccated liver, green powder,
yeast, etc. He didn’t believe in swallowing tablets,
said they wouldn’t dissolve (true). So he ground them
up in his blender. Said it was the most horrible
tasting drink he loved to drink. He is almost 93
today, and still works out 2 hours each day.

His philosophy was to inundate his body with nutrients
and his body would take what it needed and discard the
rest. Considering that as a young man, he was a
sugar/junk food addict, he seems to me to exemplify
what makes a body healthy.

But still, 10,000 mg/day of Vit C? (Dr. Linus
Pauling’s recommended dose.) As a lifestyle? You don’t
find such a Vit C intake level anywhere in nature. But
you don’t find the state of health that is now average
in our society in nature, either. Jack La Lane
demonstrated (IMO) that it takes a nearly fanatical
nutrient intake to equal what was once found in food
as it grew in nature.

We’ve been conditioned by the One-a-Day mentality.
We’d all like to find that one Super Supplement that
meets all our body’s needs. But it doesn’t exist. Nor
is a Balanced Diet, as it is usually defined, enough.
Yes, we should eat fresh fruits and vegetables; yes,
we should eat organic; yes, we should drink plenty of
pure water, but that will not be enough. We must
acquire extra nutrients from concentrated foods
(nutritional yeast, wheat germ, blackstrap molasses,
green powders, etc.) and we will certainly not be hurt
from taking added supplements in addition to that.
10,000 mg/day of Vit C? As a therapeutic dosage to
combat cancer, etc., sure. As a lifestyle? I guess I
am still not sure, but I am still taking a substantial
level to stay on the safe side.

Terry Chamberlin

http://mail.yahoo.com